Vinyl replacement windows have come a long way since they were first introduced to the market. Consequently, these residential replacement windows are now able to offer homeowners a rather impressive variety of benefits with very few disadvantages. However, as with all home improvement projects, it is still important for homeowners to consider both the pros and the cons associated with a particular building material before deciding which is best suited to their specific needs.
The Advantages Of Vinyl Windows
- Low Maintenance: Vinyl windows will require nothing more than standard cleaning and upkeep over their lifetime. Homeowners who do not want to commit to sealing wood window frames or other ongoing maintenance will often find the low maintenance requirements associated with vinyl to be one of its most impressive benefits.
- Variety Of Finishes: You can purchase vinyl windows in many different colors. You can also choose from several different finishes including those that closely mimic the appearance of natural wood grains.
- Moisture Resistant: Since vinyl windows do not absorb moisture in the way that natural materials do, these window frames will not need to be sealed in order to prevent moisture damage.
- Cost-Efficient: Despite the impressive list of benefits that come along with installing vinyl windows in your home, you will find that these replacement window frames are still often the most cost-efficient option the market has to offer.
The Disadvantage Of Vinyl Windows
- Expands And Contracts: Vinyl window frames will contract and expand when exposed to extreme temperatures. Over time this can lead to the development of gaps between the window frame and main window structure. These gaps can be filled in order to preserve the energy efficiency of your home and windows.
- Poor Sound Barrier: When compared to other residential window options, vinyl windows do not offer much in the way of sound absorption. This may be an issue for homeowners who live in areas that are prone to loud noises, such as homes that are located near railroad tracks or close to the local airport.
The Bottom Line
Vinyl windows are among the most popular options residential window installers have to offer and for good reason. The impressive variety of benefits these windows provide lend themselves to just about every style of home and every budget. However, vinyl windows are just one of many different options you have to choose from. Therefore, it is always best to work closely with a reputable contractor when planning your residential window installation. This way, you gain insight into all of the different options the market has available. Contact a residential window installation company for more information.